Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gluten-Free Pigs in a Blanket


Is there anything better? I try to limit my hot dog intake to the summer months, but come this Superbowl Sunday, I will be dunking my gluten-free pigs in a blanket into lots of hot mustard while I cheer loudly for the NY Giants.

I have asked a few gluten-free moms that I know how each would make gluten-free piggy’s, most said they make a corn bread batter so that their pigs come out more like corn dogs. I cheat. I really like them better with a pie crust blanket.

I use the frozen gluten-free pie crusts from Whole Foods Gluten-Free Bakehouse and re-purpose the crusts! It is so easy and those pie crusts are terrific for quiche, pies and now pigs in a blanket! I dump the thawed crust onto a piece of wax paper and flatten out the edges. Then, I cover the crust with another piece of wax paper and gently roll the crust back together again.

With a pizza cutter, I make triangles for my mini hot dogs. Then I just roll up the mini hot dogs and wait for game time. They aren’t pretty, sometimes you have to patch the crust together.

Bake at 350 degrees until crust is golden. My oven is on the fritz, I have to preheat it at 425 for twenty minutes to get it up to 350 degrees…so it is difficult for me to give an estimate on how long they should bake.

I plan to make mine on Saturday! My celiac is going to a Superbowl party, so I intend to send him with a cookie sheet of these so the mom can throw them in the oven for everyone…no one will ever know they are gluten-free.

Kendall Egan

No comments: